Having recently installed iOS 6, I thought I’d try the new navigation features. Ok Siri, “navigate home”. After a few seconds, the response was “I couldn’t find an address for Chris Weedall – home”.
Ok, first let’s check the basics – I’ve previously set up my home address with Siri, and this address is attached to my contact card, marked as home. Also if I go to Settings -> General -> Siri -> My Info, the correct contact card is selected.
The response from Siri “I couldn’t find an address” could mean one of two things:
- There isn’t an address flagged as “home” for me – well there is one there
- It can’t find my address on the map – lets test that then
When I try to navigate to my town the directions returned are to a place with the same name but in Somerset, some 230 miles away. So it can’t find my address. Lets go about this another way then:
- Remove the “home” address entry from my contact card (or move it to another address slot)
- Go to the Maps app, and stick a pin in the road outside my house (it needs to be in the road to resolve an address, minus a house number and full postcode)
- Click on the dropped pin and select “Add to contacts”
- Select “Add to existing contact” and pick my contact card
- This is the important bit – go to Contacts and edit my contact card, setting the address type of this new address to “Home”
This works a treat. The only downside is that the address isn’t now a full postal address, but you could keep the full address as a second address on the contact card.